I'm really liking my Windows Phone 7 devices (an HTC Trophy 7 and a Nokia Lumia 800), but some features that I'd really like to use are currently missing from the platform. The good news is that most of the current shortcomings could be fixed in software. I figure the most productive thing to do is voting in the two applicable uservoice feedback websites:
- Apollo / wp8 for 1st generation devices Not providing some level of support for all the existing WP7 devices going forward seems like a good way to kill off whatever momentum Microsoft has picked up so far. Also, there will be a lot of annoyed first gen handset owners. The Nokia Lumia 800 only came out recently this year, I'd expect a couple of years of usage out of it, including updates to the OS. Also, as a developer, I'd prefer to to have to target apps at two different platforms.
- Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs The lack of Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) means it isn't possible to interact will all sorts of interesting devices. E.g. Sphero. This is especially important as there isn't any hardware based IO. Network addressable devices is an option currently, but doesn't really cover all scenarios.
- Advertising Support for Non US Developers
A range of my apps are better suited to being free to download with a small advertisement to give me some return on the development effort. There currently isn't any support for advertising in New Zealand for the built in ad library.
In an email from Microsoft Advertising on the 6th of June:
"pubCenter will expand developer payout to seventeen new markets within the next few months for a total of thirty-six developer payout supported markets. This means Windows Phone developers located in Austria, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Luxemburg, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea and Taiwan will soon be able to make money using the Microsoft Advertising solution."Plus a link to migrate an existing account to the correct country, which should be completed before July 31, 2012.
- Enable all (bing)features for non US-countries There are a number of features that are used as selling points for the phones that aren't available in New Zealand. Such as local scout.
- Support audio on Bluetooth devices during video playback and Bluetooth audio in videos This is really annoying, I can't watch a video with a bluetooth headset for audio.
- Close applications in the multitasking view and Killing apps directly on multitask screen
- The compass API True North bearing is broken at certain locations around the world. See HTC Trophy 7 Compass Magnetic Declination gives incorrect True North
- Drag and drop support from windows explorer to Zune or straight to the phone.