From time to time your parents or grandparents will inquire about what I do for a living. With the latter I first explain that there is no plugging of wires involved, unless I'm breadboarding an IoT experiment, which leads to further confusion.
I've also found that starting out with the term "cloud computing" leads to more vague looks. And the name "Salesforce" makes them think I'm in retail. So where to start?
Trailhead to the rescue!
The new Navigate the Salesforce Advantage trial can help explain who and what Salesforce is and how businesses use it. All with a nautical theme!
So what will you learn on this trail?
- How does Salesforce differentiate themselves from other companies - Introducing our Four Core Differentiators
- That it has a full Customer Relationship Management tool, but extends beyond that to provide a platform for all types of apps. Succeeding with a Complete CRM
- Where Cloud Computing has advantages in maintaining hardware and software - Propelling Your Business with the Cloud
- How the Multitenant environment benefits everyone while still allowing each org to maintain its own Metadata - Salesforce Technology Basics
- One of the areas I think Salesforce excels in, the Salesforce Ecosystem. In particular, the Developer Forum and the Salesforce StackExchange. If you are in New Zealand there is the New Zealand Salesforce Developer Group
The entire trail only takes around an hour and gives you a good primer on all things Salesforce.
See also, the Spring '16 Release specific module (available for a limited time)